Kamis, Oktober 21, 2021
BerandaNewsUS Ensures Legal Case Regarding George Floyd's Death Continues

US Ensures Legal Case Regarding George Floyd’s Death Continues

- Advertisment -spot_img

NUSADAILY.COM – JAKARTA – The United States Embassy in Jakarta confirmed the legal case against the murder of a black citizen from Houston, Texas, George Floyd, continuing at both the federal and state levels, said the US Ad Interim Chargé for Indonesia, Heather Variava.

“The legal system in the United States is processing legal cases for the tragic death of George Floyd through investigations that are still ongoing at the federal and state levels,” Variava said in his remarks during a virtual seminar session on Friday night.

The statement was delivered by Variava to announce developments in the Floyd case that have attracted the attention of many citizens of the world.

Floyd died of loss of breath after being trampled on his neck by Derek Chauvin, police in the City of Minneapolis, on May 25. Floyd’s death sparked protests in dozens of US cities and big cities in Europe, Asia and Latin America.

The US Government Supports Public Demonstrations
According to Heather, the US Government supports public demonstrations, because the action is an effort to strengthen a free and open society.

“The United States and a free and open society throughout the world can only be strong through debate between citizens. What is shown when they express their right to freedom of opinion and freedom of assembly, “explained Variava.

At least, thousands of masses in several cities in the US rallied for more than two weeks to protest the brutal attitude of police and racial discrimination in the United States.

A few days after Floyd died following a mass protest, Chauvin was immediately detained by the authorities. Not only that, three other policemen who were on duty with Chauvin when the incident took place were also detained and prosecuted for multiple articles. The four police officers in the City of Minneapolis were also fired from their unit.

The prosecutor’s office demanded that Chauvin and three other policemen be guilty of second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

So far, the court has set a guarantee for Chauvin of 1.25 million US dollars (around Rp. 17.78 billion). Meanwhile, the judge decided bail of US $ 750,000 (about Rp.10,67 billion) for Thomas Lane, Tou Thao, and J. Alexander Kueng.

Lane, Thao, and Kueng were three policemen who were with Chauvin as he knelt on Floyd’s neck for almost nine minutes.

So far, Lane has paid bail for him, so he can take part in the trial without having to be detained in prison. (Aka)

- Advertisement -spot_img
Nusa Magz Edisi 46

BERITA POPULAR

- Advertisement -spot_img

BERITA KHUSUS

@nusadaily.com

Akhir-akhir ini Kota Malang panas banget nih, ngadem dulu yuk🍦🍦 ##tiktoktaiment

♬ Happy Ukulele - VensAdamsAudio

LIFESTYLE

Polda Metro Periksa Rachel Vennya Hari Ini

0
NUSADAILY.COM - JAKARTA - Penyidik Polda Metro Jaya berencana memeriksa ​selebgram Rachel Vennya terkait dugaan kabur dari isolasi di Rumah Sakit Darurat Covid-19 (RSDC) Wisma Atlet...