NUSADAILY.COM-TOKYO – At least 40 people died when heavy rains continued to fall on Kyushu Island, southwest of Japan. The rivers risk re-overflowing and Monday a new evacuation order was imposed.
Floods and landslides occurred in Kyushu in Japan starting last weekend. Officially recorded killing 21 people so far. But as many as 18 more people are also thought to have died, just waiting for official confirmation.
While 13 people are missing, Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a press conference.
“I express my deepest condolences for those who died from heavy rains,” Suga said. He added that around 40,000 members of the Self Defense Forces were involved in the rescue mission.
He added that evacuation centers in Japan’s Kyushu also sought to prevent the spread of the new corona virus. Namely by distributing disinfectants and asking refugees to keep their distance from each other.
As of Saturday, around 200,000 people had been ordered to flee their homes, according to Kyodo news agency.
The flood is the worst natural disaster in Japan since Typhoon Hagibis in October 2019 which killed around 90 people. (yos)